- About Me: I am 26 years old, and working at a Legal Aid organization as an attorney. I love God, my husband, movies, shopping, books, dancing, rain on a warm summer day, Italian and Mexican food, sushi, hiking in the spring, nice hotels, lying on the beach, snickers bars, being complimented, studying at Panera, and sometimes exercising (not all necessarily in that order, except for the first two). I dislike final exams, low grades, 12-hour study days, waking up early, cold bathrooms, uncertainty, camping in a tent (sometimes it's okay), insincere people, shrimp, feeling discontent, bad table manners, and the improper use of blinkers. I'm pretty much a dork, since my idea of a perfect way to spend a cold and rainy afternoon is in front of the fire with a good book. I sincerely want to be a good attorney and an advocate for people, and I sincerely don't want to become a selfish, materialistic American whose focus is on the "American dream" rather than on God.
More About Me
- Nicknames: 1) Marieka 2) Miek ("meek") - Dutch derivative 3) Mieklebee 4) Miekje ("meek-ya") 5) Miekster 6) Mary ("mar-ee") 7) Mary (normal way) 8) Mars 9) Mar 10) Mariamaphone 11) Marzipan 12) Madame Blueberry 13) Schmucky (thanks, Mikey) 14) Mary Schmuck 15) Schmuckasorous-Rex 16) E.Q. (short for "esquire," which is what I'll hopefully be in a few months)
- Nationality: 1/2 Dutch, 1/4 Lithuania, 1/8 Irish, 1/8 English
- Religion: A follower of Christ
- Heroes: Jesus, my parents, C.S. Lewis
- Interests: I love reading, the usual girl things (shopping, talking, etc), cooking dinner with friends, hiking with my husband, going to church, trying new things, watching movies, and having good conversations. I like a good argument sometimes, but never a senseless rambling. I'm interested in politics and history, and anything international. I love dancing and singing.
- Occupation: Attorney
- Favorite Movies: Princess Bride, Amelie, Chocolat, Pirates of the Caribbean (first one), Lord of the Rings, Italian Job, the Bourne series, 10 Things I Hate About You, A Knight's Tale, Pride and Prejudice (BBC version)
- Favorite Actors: Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, Emma Thompson, Matt Damon, George Clooney, Denzel Washington...
- Favorite Genre: Romantic comedy, historical drama
- Favorite Soundtracks: Phantom of the Opera, Moulin Rouge
- Movie Quotes I say all the time: "Should you be drinking alcohol when you don't have a liver?" ~ 10 Things I Hate About You; "You mocked me once; never do it again. I died that day, and you can die too, for all I care! Aaassss yoouuuuuu wiiissshhhh.....oh, my sweet Westley, what have I done? Oooh, aahhh, uuhhh (falling down hillside)" ~ Princess Bride
- Movies I can watch over and over: Ten Things I Hate About You, A Knight's Tale, Chocolat, Extreme Days, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility
- Actor that would play me in a movie: You tell me - I've never been told I look like any particular actress
- Favorite Cuisine: Mexican, Italian, and Thai
- Favorite Dishes: Sushi, chicken alfredo, pad thai, sezchuan beef w/ rice, steak, anything with mushrooms, asparagus and/or zuchini, pizza
- Favorite Desserts: anything chocolate, raspberry or applie pie (with vanilla ice cream, of course!)
- Favorite Drinks: diet coke, apple-cranberry juice, white wine, skim milk
- Favorite Junk Foods: oreos, bbq kettle-cooked potato chips, snickers bars, krispy creme donuts, pizza, rally burgers, wendy's chili
- Best meal ever: Whoa - it's impossible to say. I love food, and therefore I love most meals. One of the top meals is an awesome middle-eastern feast I had at a Lebanese restaurant in London
- Favorite Restaurants: Rose Thai, Olive Garden, Panera, Seva (this vegetarian restaurant in Ann Arbor), El Patio
- Foods I hate: liver, anchovies, baby corns, shrimp, water chestnuts
- School Name: University Of Toledo
- Status: Alumni
- Class of: 2008
- Attended: 2005 - 2008
- Degree type: PhD
- Major(s): Juris Doctorate - Law
- Favorite Artists: Third Day, Caedmon's Call, Praise and Worship, and most everything but country and rap
- Favorite Albums: Offerings II, Big River, Back Home
- Favorite Genre: Christian (specifically worship)
- Favorite Songs: In Christ Alone, I Can Only Imagine, I Hope You Dance
- Songs I hate: anything rap or hard metal
- Favorite Books: Lord of the Rings, The Silver Chalice, Anne of Green Gables (series), Watership Down, The Street Lawyer, Chronicles of Narnia, to name just a few
- Favorite Authors: C.S. Lewis, George MacDonald, Dorothy Sayers, Agatha Christie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Frank Peretti, Jane Austen, John Grisham, Thomas B. Costain, Stephen R. Lawhead, Jan Karon
- Favorite Genres: Mystery, romance, political, history
- Favorite Shows: Grey's Anatomy, Project Runway, House, NCIS, Top Chef, Scrubs
- Favorite Channels: HGTV, Bravo, TNT, NBC, ABC
- Favorite Reruns: The Nanny, Scrubs, Gilmore Girls, Project Runway
- Most Addictive Show: Project Runway, Grey's Anatomy
- Show I Secretly Watch: If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret.
- Places I love: England (particularly Oxford), the Netherlands, Siesta Cay (Florida)
- Places I've been: England, the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean
- Places to see before I die: The Eiffel Tower, a chalet in Switerzland, the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, the Rock of Gibraltar, a gondola in Venice
- Dream Vacation: A month in an Italian villa....
- Where I shop: Kohls, JCPenney, Plato's Closet, Payless, Target
- Brands I love: Don't really care too much - except Levi's - I like my Levi's
- I like to wear: Jeans, baby!
- Can't live without: Shoes and jeans
- Prized Possessions: certain articles of fine jewelry
- Guilty Pleasure: shoes...shoes...and more shoes....